Intermediate to Senior Coastal Scientist/Engineer
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a highly motivated Intermediate to Senior Coastal Design Engineer or Scientist to join our Green Infrastructure Team. The role is a specialised design role and the applicant would ideally have over 10 years’ experience, with a particular focus on coastal management, coastal process assessments, both soft and hard engineering approaches to coastal protection and New Zealand regulations. The ability to provide engineering supervision during capital works construction, a working knowledge of flood risk management, contaminated land management, structural design a and geotechnical engineering would be an advantage.
You will have the opportunity to further develop your skills and help us grow our business in this field, with opportunities to work on projects both in Auckland and across New Zealand. You’ll be joining a dynamic and cohesive Auckland team, with the option to partner up on projects with our Otago and Bay of Plenty teams on a regular basis. You have an interest in working for local government clients and assisting them with developing coastal management plans, strategies and policies.
As a minimum the following skills and experience are required:
- A Tertiary qualification in Civil/Environmental Engineering, Science or equivalent.
- The ability to hit the ground running and work both as part of our team and independently, managing your own projects and clients.
- Local working knowledge of the Auckland Unitary Plan, New Zealand Building Code, Resource Management Act 1991, New Zealand Coastal Policy Statement 2010.
- Positive attitude, ambitious and a team player.
- Strongly motivated to consider H&S during both design and construction, to ensure the safety of our staff, contractors, clients and the public.
- Driven to seek efficiencies and sustainable outcomes for both our business and our clients.
- The ability to manage and coordinate your own projects, managing subconsultants and developing positive working relationships with our clients.
- Be able to mitigate risk on projects through implementation of sound audit, Health and Safety, business and financial management practices.
- Apply coastal erosion mitigation knowledge to assist in design of coastal protection structures.
- Utilise knowledge of beach replenishment and other non-invasive techniques to assist with hard and soft engineering approaches to coastal protection.
- The ability to prepare high quality technical reports, calculations and engineering specifications.
- Liaise with statutory authorities, contractors and other parties as necessary to ensure the fulfilment of duties and responsibilities.
- Input into the production of Assessment of Environmental Effects where required
- Proven track record in project management including financial management.
- Keen to undertake business development and work with our Green Infrastructure team to further expand our growing Coastal business profile
The following would be an advantage:
- Ability to provide input into geotechnical investigations, geotechnical interpretation and reporting as required.
- Entry level experience in drainage design including use of hydraulic modelling software such as HEC-RAS and HEC-HMS
- Ability to mentor junior staff
- CPEng (or equivalent) or working towards this
This role will provide a sound platform to progress and drive a successful and enjoyable professional working career.
AR & Associates is a high-end multidisciplinary planning, civil and environmental engineering design consultancy, firmly founded on our core values of excellence, integrity, balance and respect. We offer an integrated approach to ensure that the various facets of our work are coordinated to achieve sustainable, technically optimal and cost-efficient solutions.
At AR & Associates we pride ourselves on offering exceptional working conditions for our staff in a fun and social setting, fantastic location and a culture of transparency and open communication.
AR & Associates are proud to be an equal opportunities employer.
If you believe you have the skills, experience and personal traits to be successful in this role, please send your curriculum vitae and covering letter to:HR(Replace this parenthesis with the @ sign)arassociates.co.nz